To help the driver and vehicle gracefully negotiate curves, the standard Torque Vectoring Control uses the braking system to imitate the effect of a torque vectoring differential. In particular, when accelerating around corners, it applies braking to the front inside wheel, so more of the engine torque goes to the outside wheel, which has more grip. The rear stabilizer bar and fully independent control blade rear suspension resist body roll. And the available PowerShift™ 6-speed automatic transmission* delivers excellent responsiveness with smooth and easy shifting of the gears.
Look at some of the other performance features we put into the Focus:
- Electric power-assisted steering (EPAS)
- Aerodynamic design
- Active Grille Shutters**
- Available paddle shifters with 6-speed SelectShift® automatic transmission
*Standard on Titanium; included in available SE Appearance and SE Sport Packages.
**Not available on Focus Electric.
Remember that even advanced technology cannot overcome the laws of physics. It's always possible to lose control of a vehicle due to inappropriate driver input for the conditions.
2.0L Ti-VCT direct injection 1-4 engine with Flex Fuel Capablities:
- Twin independent variable camshaft timing (Ti-VCT) on both the intake and exhaust cams is continuously adjusted to keep the engine running at maximum efficiency as the engine speed and torque change
- Smart charging alternator
- Flex-fuel capability
- Dual overhead camshaft (DOHC), lightweight aluminum cylinder head with 4 valves per cylinder
- Aluminum engine block and cylinder head help to reduce overall vehicle weight to aid fuel efficiency
- Timing chain, instead of a belt, helps improve durability
- Piston cooling jets
One of the most advanced engines ever offered by Ford, the 1.0L has over a dozen innovations contributing to efficiency and refinement. Here are a few of them:
- A remarkably small and efficient turbocharger reduces engine weight
- Innovative balancing to reduce weight through externally mounted crankshaft pulley and flywheel
- Oil-immersed timing belt to reduce friction and noise
- Around 25 percent fewer moving parts vs. traditional 4-cylinder engine results in less internal friction and increased efficiency
- A split-circuit cooling system helps the engine reach proper operating temperature faster
- The variable-pressure oil pump enhances efficiency
- The stiff, yet compact, block reduces vibrations
- An integrated exhaust manifold allows the engine to run an ideal air/fuel mixture across its revband